Thursday, February 9, 2012

Pesto Stuffed Chicken

Pin It So who doesn't love pesto? I mean seriously I love love love it!! Now in the summertime I make my own pesto since I have so much basil, but since its the winter I used commercial pesto.

Ingredients:
4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
5 T
your favorite commercial pesto
4 T low-fat sour cream
4 T grated mozzarella cheese
2 eggs, beaten

3 T finely grated Parmesan cheese
5 T flax meal or bread crumbs, I used a combo of both


*now these are approximates because when it comes to cooking I just eyeball it. So I probably used more then what the recipe actually calls for. The more the merrier when it comes to these ingredients (except the eggs I actually did use 2)

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 375F. Spray a small casserole dish with non-stick spray. Trim any visible fat from chicken breasts, then put them one at a time inside a heavy plastic bag and pound with meat mallet until the chicken is as thin as you can get it. Don't worry too much about the shape or whether there are some loose pieces, you can tuck them in when you roll up the chicken.
Prepare two bowls, one with the beaten egg and the other with the grated Parmesan-flax meal mixture. Dip each chicken breast first into the egg mixture and then into the Parmesan-flax meal mixture, patting it on so the chicken breast  is well-coated with the mixture.

In a small bowl mix together the basil pesto, sour cream, and grated mozzarella. Use a rubber scraper or spoon to spread a thin layer of this mixture over each chicken breast, stopping about 1/2 inch from the edge of the chicken (so it doesn't run out so much as it cooks.) Roll up the chicken breasts and secure them with a couple of toothpicks.  I used about 4 toothpicks per chicken piece. Also don't worry about the pesto mixture oozes out, it's gonna happen. This is not a pretty dish.

Put chicken breasts into the casserole dish and bake until the chicken is firm and lightly browned. (Start checking after about 25-30 minutes; total baking time will be 30-35 minutes.)  I sprinkled some mozzerella cheese over the top just before serving the chicken. 

pictures from here, my pictures (see left) weren't great.





Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It