Saturday, January 28, 2012

Cookoreo's

Pin It Good Morning my lovelies, and how are all of you on this Saturday morning? Here it's cold, but there is that pretty snow falling, you know with the big fluffy flakes. Looks nice now, but will be all slushy and grey and dirty in about a hour!

So why not on Saturday morning bake some cookoreo's? What are they you ask? Its a freaking chocolate chip cookie with a freaking oreo inside!!!
insert music of angels singing.....aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh.......

So my 1st issue, I need to find the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe. So let's hope I did, according to the website for these cookies it was voted the best cookie by the New York Times. (for a direct link Cookie Recipe)

Now you would think, okay I just need to go pick up some oreo's right? Well since these are already full of butter, etc, I decided to at least give these cookies a little help nutrionally. So I picked up some of those WhoNu Cookies that are supposed to be a little better for you. Now do they taste good? Well we will see and even if they aren't as good as normal Oreo's, who cares you have 2 chocolate chip cookies encasing it!!


So let's begin....
2 cups minus 2 tablespoons (8 1/2 ounces) cake
flour
1 2/3 cups (8 1/2 ounces) bread flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
2 1/2 sticks (1 1/4 cups) unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups (10 ounces) light brown sugar
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (8 ounces) granulated
sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/4 pounds chocolate chips
Combine flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt
into a bowl and set aside. (I used a whisk to mix together)
Using a mixer with a paddle attachment, cream
butter and sugars until light and fluffy – about 5 minutes. Add eggs. Stir in vanilla. Reduce to low speed and add dry ingredients slowly,
mixing until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips. Refrigerate dough for
24-36 hours.
When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350.
Now normally I HATE when recipes say I have wait to make my cookies!! But I started these at around 10pm Thursday night so figured okay this one time I will see if  waiting is worth all the hype or if I just continue to ignore that part of the recipe. We shall see.
So first thing I noticed right off the bat...let the cookie dough sit out for awhile 1st. Since its been in the fridge they are too hard and weren't malleable enough to form around the oreo. The oreo broke instead.
So maybe its the WhoNu's but they break apart quite easily which is a pain the @ss when trying to put cookie dough on top of it. So the 1st two cookies I tried when the dough was still too hard turned out like this. Note to self, less is more.


So cookie tray #2 didn't turn out so well either. I left the dough out for about 30 min so it was softer and added a little to each side of the oreo. Yeah this is how these one's turned out. Not the greatest either.

So currenly batch 3 is in the oven. I have made some normal cookies, and those look good and actually taste very good! Not sure if its the cake flour I used (which is something new to me) or leaving them in the fridge for 36 hours. These are the regular ol' normal chocolate chip cookies.

Batch 3 sucked too. BUT I think I got it!! With of course only 2 cookies left. I sorta cupped the dough around the oreo. The main problem is that the WhoNu's break apart WAY too easily, so I suggest sticking with oreo's. They will hold together much better. Its hard to get the dough around the cookie when the top of the cookie easily slips off.  It also helps when the dough is super soft. Gets stuck all over your hands, but oh well. So here is the before picture.

Well...I was wrong, for some reason I cannot get these to turn out like this!!!! grrrrr
Instead they turned out like this.

So this is going to be one of those work in progress sorta recipes. Let me know if you have more luck! Now as for taste? They taste great, just don't look at that pretty. Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Test Subject's Note: These cookies are freaking awesome. Yes, they may not look like the pretty picture that comes with the recipe - but the important thing is that they combine the awesomeness of home-made chocolate chip cookie with Oreos.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It